Season 5 of Fortnite: Battle Royale is officially here and underway, which means players will now have a new set of challenges to complete and new Battle Pass rewards to unlock. Epic Games has decided to kick off the first week of Season 5 with seven brand new tasks of varying difficulty. You can find where to find the Risky Reels treasure map here and now we’ve put together a guide to help you complete the other challenge that might pose a bit of a problem this week: searching seven floating Lightning Bolts.
Like other challenges that task you with tracking down certain items (Yay, MMO fetch quests!), the Lightning Bolts can be found in various parts of the island. They’re fairly easy to spot once you’re in their general vicinity, and you collect them by simply holding the use button, as you would to open a chest. The difference, however, is that the Lightning Bolts are hovering in the air, just out of reach, and you can’t pick up them while skydiving or jumping; instead, you’ll need to build a structure and shimmy your way up it in order to reach them.
The Lightning Bolts always appear in the same locations, and there are more than seven scattered around the island, so it should be easy enough to complete this challenge once you know where to find them. Players can also collect the seven you need across multiple matches, although any Lightning Bolts that you’ve picked up will no longer be available on the map. Here are seven areas where you can find Lightning Bolts:
- West of Tomato Town, above a small hill
- West of Wailing Woods, above a small hill
- In the northwest-most corner of Junk Junction
- Lonely Lodge, directly west of the top floor of the tall tower
- Above a house in the northwest corner of Salty Springs
- Southeast of Shifty Shafts, just north of the bridge
- Between two large mountains east/southeast of Haunted Hills
Once players have collected all seven and completed the challenge, they will earn five Battle Stars, which will go toward ranking up the Season 5 Battle Pass. Unlike previous seasons, all of the weekly challenges are divided up into two separate categories: Free (available to all players) and Battle Pass (available only to those who have purchased the pass). The full list of Week 1 challenges can be found below.
Along with the new challenges, those who purchase the Battle Pass have a ton of new rewards to unlock in Fortnite, including new skins, emotes, contrails, harvesting tools, and much more.
Fortnite Season 5, Week 1 Challenges
- Deal damage with SMGs to opponents (500) — 5 Battle Stars
- Search a Supply Llama (1) — 5 Battle Stars
- Clinger, Stink Bomb, or Grenade Eliminations (3) — 10 Battle Stars
- Search chests in Snobby Shores (7) — 5 Battle Stars
- Search floating Lightning Bolts (7) — 5 Battle Stars
- Follow the treasure map found in Risky Reels (1) — 10 Battle Stars
- Eliminate opponents in Retail Row (3) — 10 Battle Stars